Centre County Women’s Resource Center
Job Description: Overnight/Weekend Shelter Counselor
Draft Revised 2/27/07
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct services to shelter residents including individual counseling, intake and exit interviews with shelter residents, conducting house meetings, advocacy, information and referral, and enforcing shelter rules and regulations. Maintain client confidentiality.
- Maintain physical aspects of the shelter and safety/security of the building, including monitoring the electronic security system, basic upkeep of the shelter (e.g. housekeeping assignments & stocking emergency food).
- Maintain current and accurate records on shelter residents. Log all direct service time.
- Answer Rape/Abuse Hotline when necessary.
- Assist shelter residents in filling out goal sheets, Protection from Abuse Orders, assistance applications and other relevant documents as necessary.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Case manages with the Shelter Counselor.
- Attend regular shelter staff meetings.
- Maintain knowledge of counseling skills, community groups, individuals and agencies that provide resources for sexual and domestic violence clients. Including, but not limited to, participating in training exercises and reading assigned materials.
- Work cooperatively with the Shelter Team staff.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Shelter Services.
Degree and/or experience working with women and children in a human service delivery system preferred. Strong daily commitment to:
- the provision of domestic violence and sexual assault services with a feminist perspective;
- the struggle against sexism, racism, ageism, classism, ableism, homophobia and heterosexism;
- support and involve people of all racial, social, ethnic, religious, cultural and economic groups.
Successful completion of CCWRC counselor/advocate training program.
Must meet qualifications to receive Act 33 and 34 clearances.
Must have reliable means of transportation.
Hours Worked Per Week:
Monday to Friday: 9 PM to 9 AM
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 9 AM to 3 PM, 3 PM to 9 PM, 9 PM to 9 AM
Staff Non-Exempt Position
Employee Signature: Date:
Supervisor Signature: Date: