Centre County Women’s Resource Center
Civil Legal Representation Project
Job Description: Paralegal/Legal Assistant
Draft Revised 1/15/13
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct client interviews and maintain general contact with CCWRC clients of the legal project, including international clients, who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and/or stalking.
- Conduct web-based case law, statutory and regulatory research, including on immigration issues.
- Maintain court schedule and calendar.
- Maintain legal project records and filing system.
- Draft and edit legal documents, correspondence and pleadings.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare reports required by the Board of Directors, the Project Director and funding agencies.
- Participate in Center committees and teams when appropriate.
- Maintain current knowledge in the field and attend seminars/workshops to increase professional knowledge and effectiveness.
- Is under supervision of the Director of the Civil Legal Representation Project.
Paralegal or legal assistant certificate or degree is required. At least one year of legal assistant experience in a litigation and family law practice, or a public interest law firm or similar setting is preferred. Knowledge of immigration issues facing victims of domestic violence is preferred. Must possess excellent writing, proofreading, professional telephone skills and a willingness to develop and learn new skills. Excellent and demonstrated word processing required, knowledge of spreadsheet, West Law and other legal office applications is desirable. Excellent judgment and ability to communicate with all audiences. Strong daily commitment to:
- the provision of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault services with a feminist perspective;
- the struggle against ageism, classism, racism, ableism, homophobia and heterosexism;
- support and involve people of all racial, social, ethnic, religious, cultural and economic groups;
Must have Act 33 and 34 Clearances.
Must successfully complete the CCWRC Counselor/Advocate Training course
Hours worked per week: 40 hours
Employee Signature: Date:
Supervisor Signature: Date: